Monday, November 15, 2010

yes your highness

One morning, just days before her 3rd birthday,
Willa and I had the following exchange...What would you like for breakfast?


I wanna root beer float.


That's not breakfast food, choose something else.


I wanna cookie and chocolate.


No.  You need to put something good for you in your belly.

A silent pause coupled with this look.
I now know that this was not a look.
It was a warning.

Can I have oatmeal?

Yes.  Oatmeal is a great choice.

Yes it is, your high-ny ass.

My turn to take a silent pause.  I'm a seasoned mom and very careful
not to show my certain surprise or possible concern
over her choice of words.
There's no way she said that intentionally.
I will let it go and I will not laugh.

OK.  Will you please get the oatmeal?

Yes, your high-ny ass.

Completely intentional.
I laughed and she had her oatmeal.


No comments:

Post a Comment